Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Odd Construction


Are you ready to quit?

Are you ready to quit?

Are you ready to Quit?

The structure of this sentence bothered me. I couldn't place why. I had to tear it apart.

I'm okay with "are you?" but I don't like the word 'ready' and the word 'quit'? together.

So, I decided I had to figure out what I didn't like.

I looked up 'ready.'
1. completely prepared or in fit condition for immediate action or use: troops ready for battle; Dinner is ready.
2.
duly equipped, completed, adjusted, or arranged, as for an occasion or purpose: The mechanic called to say that the car is ready.
3.
willing: ready to forgive.
4.
prompt or quick in perceiving, comprehending, speaking, writing, etc.
5.
proceeding from or showing such quickness: a ready reply.


Then I looked up 'quit.'
1.
to stop, cease, or discontinue: She quit what she was doing to help me paint the house.
2.
to depart from; leave (a place or person): They quit the city for the seashore every summer.
3.
to give up or resign; let go; relinquish: He quit his claim to the throne. She quit her job.
4.
to release one's hold of (something grasped).
5.
to acquit or conduct (oneself).


So I guess I placed what I do not like.

To me, 'ready' carries the connotation of the first meaning.

Immediate action. It implies DOING SOMETHING.

But what are you doing? You are STOPPING, CEASING, OR DISCONTINUING.

So immediately begin the action of stopping the action...



I don't like the sentence because it implies an oxymoron.

But if you add the action that is implied by the sentence....


"Are you ready to quit smoking?"


It doesn't bother me at all. And I don't know why.


No comments:

Post a Comment